Lauren Epps from The Manhattan Mercury wrote an article about a local motel that was shut down by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment because of bed bugs. Several of the rooms were noted to have had bed bugs. According to the manager of the hotel, Bob Borot, there were about 10 to 15 rooms total that had an infestation. Borot says he expects the hotel will reopen this Friday.
Initially Borot hired a pest control company to exterminate the bed bugs but the bugs remained persistent. Following the inspection from the pest control company the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) came and issued the motel a temporary suspension until the bed bugs could be permanently removed. Borot says that the extermination has cost a lot of money, around $300 per room. The new pest control company came in and got rid of the bugs and Borot also purchased brand new bedding for the motel.