In Commerce City officials have closed the Clearview Motel after investigators found not only bed bugs but cockroaches, gas-leaks and more in the motel rooms. The motel was then closed Monday and the residents had until 3 p.m. to move out. A sign with the word “Danger” was posted on the motel’s door. Michael Finley, who rents a one-bedroom and works for Quality Resurfacing, says that many of the residents are handicapped and that they should’ve waited until after Thanksgiving to close the motel because many residents have nowhere else to go.
One resident had been without heat for 15 months and instead used his gas stove to heat the room which causes a high risk for carbon monoxide exposure and not to mention is illegal. The rooms were rented out for about $170 and had many gas leaks and carbon monoxide exposure. Other rooms had no running water.
A task force inspected the motel and deemed it ‘unfit for human habitation.’ The structural, safety and hygiene problems must be fixed before the units can be reopened. Initially the residents where shocked by the closing of the motel but were soon thanking the city for finally addressing the problems. Social workers came to distribute bus passes and grocery store gift cards. They also offered counseling and help in finding new housing.
Could you imagine living in a place like that? It sounds awful! What is worse is that many of the tenants lived there for years without seeing improvement. No one should have to live in housing conditions like that. Please feel free to share your comments with us below.